Volunteer Mentors Needed!
Your Own Place will be supporting pupils in three Norwich schools with Volunteer Mentors. Mentors will be there at that vital transition moment as the end of year 11 approaches.
Following the ending of the mentoring contract with Volunteering Matters, Your Own Place, that have already trained over 150 mentors in Norfolk in the last 20 months, will be seeking more volunteers who want to develop their own skills and help shape a young life too.
The Norwich Opportunity Area is entering its third year with the aim for equalling chances for young people in Norwich. Norwich is a city where opportunities are unequal and outcomes and life chances for young people are among the most unequal in the country.
Schools Mentoring sits under their Priority 4, which is to give young people the information and support they need to move successfully between school, college, university and into work.
New volunteers coming forward will receive the usual high quality two-day Mentoring Training from Your Own Place and then be supported to meet a year 11 pupil and have positive and aspiring conversations about their futures, the opportunities they have and their next steps. Those who have already trained with Your Own Place or the previous provider will be asked to attend a short refresher and update training.
- How long is the project? Just a year - until July 2020
- What's the commitment? An hour a week in school hours. Each school has different times
- Which schools? Sewell Park Academy, Hewett Academy, and UTC (University Technical College)
- When does it start? We want to start matching in the autumn term
- I've already been trained, will that be ok for this project? We're looking at some half-day or twilight refresher sessions
If you're interested in getting involved join Your Own Place for tea and cake 9:30 - 12:30 Saturday 31st August at The Training Flat, 23 Johnson Place, Norwich, NR2 2SA or contact Simone Black at email@example.com. You can also find more information on the website.